HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone used a tail fan to walk up on turkeys?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:46 AM
bald9eagle
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I'm not going to take the time to look up numbers, but I can tell you that there are more hunters shot when turkey hunting than when hunting any other animal or bird. Now add in this trying to fake like you're a bird with a fan in front of you is just taking an even bigger chance of getting shot just for a few pounds of meat. Whatever, as the kids say nowadays!
Actually the opposite is true. Looking at the numbers for Wisconsin ( http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/incidentReport.html) deer hunting is by far the most dangerous and most likely to see a hunter get shot. Next is small game...mostly squirrel and quail/grouse. Squirrel hunting alone has had more shootings since 2010 than turkey hunting. By my count there were.....

Deer - 42
Squirrel - 15
Pheasant/Grouse/Quail - 17
Waterfowl - 12
Turkey - 10

Wisconsin is considered one of the top turkey hunting states. Alabama had 2 turkey hunting related incidents in 2013 and 2014 combined. It's funny that turkey hunting has such a stigma attached to it yet it is fair more safer than deer hunting.