HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - In Hurry... Lens' Triple and my NY hunt
Old 11-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Len in Maryland

Default RE: In Hurry... Lens' Triple and my NY hunt

It was a lot of fun this morning. This particular property is actually split by two of the four regions in this State. In one region, I am allowed one buck and in the other region I' m allowed two bucks. Life is just great for this COF. Last year at this time I was just recovering from surgery in a life threatening situation. GOD has been good to me in spite of some other major problems.

There were actually at least 5 bucks, and maybe 6, that were chasing the doe. A bigger 8 pointer was 40 yards away with some brush in the way. He stood there for about 10 minutes before these two appeared. A smaller 8 pointer, maybe a 6, was within 50 yards when I shot. Then there was the monster 8 that I was really wanting. I think I saw him about 80-100 yards away on the run once I shot. I know the habits and the bedding area of the monster 8. I guess I' ll now have to put David on him.

I never expected to see so many bucks at one time. All of them were after the same doe. Maybe I should have waited and enjoyed a great battle? Not really, because the doe was not about to stop until I shot her. Shooting her was, in hindsight, the best thing to do. It made all the bucks stop long enough for me to get off shots. The neat thing is that my 78# bow was quiet enough to get 3 shots off with all these deer within 100 yards. As a matter of fact, there was a button buck already at my tree when the doe arrived. I shot her and he just stood there looking at her running. He was only alarmed when he walked over and sniffed the arrow that had hit her and was sticking in the ground. Even then, he only walked away very slowly.

I can' t tell you how many buttons, spikes and small bucks I' ve passed this year. The 13 that I already shot this year, except for two buttons that weren' t visible, were all does. We have soooo many deer here in this State that they' re trying some desperate measures to cull the herds. On the way to the hunting property this morning, I saw at least 6 roadkills. On one the head was missing, so I' d assume that was a nice buck. This is what happens when you let the antis have their way for a decade or more. The politicians are now coming around to allow hunters more access to certain areas and liberal bag limits. Some of the biggest deer are woven into suburban housing developments.

Good hunting to all.