HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Noob Questions Here!
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 12:07 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

I have two of the Traditions Woodsman Hawken Rifles. One flintlock, one percussion. Both are excellent shooters. My Flintlock has a 1-48 twist being newer. Told percussion was purchased the first year they were offered and has a 1-66 twist and is a true roundball shooter. But the new Flintlock is a good roundball shooter also.

You don't mention the brand of powder you shoot. I shoot Goex 2f in mine as I shoot a lot of Flintlock rifles. I shoot 90 grains of 2 or 3f as my hunting load.

This is my old rifle. And Semisane was telling me to try Liquid Wrench as a lube. It did pretty good.

This is with the normal moose milk lube I use... again just having fun.

This is my flintlock model. And would be the same barrel twist as yours.

When you have it cleaned just apply a good quality gun oil on a patch and swab the bore. This is the same steel as a modern rifle so protect it like a modern rifle. Before you shoot next time, swab the bore with isopropyl alcohol on a patch. This will pull the oil out. Then a few dry patches. Then load and shoot.

Check your rifle every so often with a dry patch and then re oil the barrel. It will last a life time.