HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Missing?
Thread: Missing?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 09:01 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I don't miss much, if I'm not sure of my shot, in most cases, I'll let the opportunity pass. In the end if I have scoped it, I own it anyway. I can count my number of misses on one hand, at least in the last twenty years. In most cases a miss was a bit of grass or a twig that got between the muzzle and the target, it sometimes doesn't take much to deflect a bullet.

It's not that I'm a super outstanding marksman, it is I take only the shots I'm sure of.

Having said all that I shot at a Buck with his head slightly raised nibbling on a bush maybe forty ards. He spun 180 and took off up a ridge like his rear end was on fire. I thought maybe I had clipped a branch and missed or maybe just nicked him. I figured he would stop for an instant at the top of the ridge and blow and maybe check his back trail for pursuit. I was ready for him when he stopped and took a second shot, maybe a hundred and forty yards. He went another thirty feet and dropped. When I gutted him his heart looked like puree or maybe chopped up Cherry Jello. After I skinned him I had a look at the back of the hide, two bullet holes an inch apart, both in the ten ring, right through the heart.

Sometimes they drop in a pile, which is always the best outcome. Sometimes what seems like a miss isn't and this particular Deer just refuses to give up and die.

If I have second shot I'll take it, just on the off chance I wounded with the first shot. Few things worse than watching an animal suffer.

I shot a Doe not long ago that had a bullet lodged in her lower jaw. I was culling her as she was in obvious distress, skin and bones and looked like she had mange. Her whole lower jaw was infected and full of puss, the bone was disintegrating. Life had to be pure misery for her.