HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Differences in North American and European grouse hunting
Old 03-25-2015, 03:26 AM
ArttuJ
Spike

Default Differences in North American and European grouse hunting

Hello everybody.

been thinking for a while the differences in the ways how we who live this side of the pond (more accurately Finland and other nordic countries) hunt the upland birds compared to our fellows in North America.

Most notable difference seems to be that North Americans don't seem to use rifles for grouse hunting. I explain: at autumn grouse congregates, and when weather gets colder they tend to rise up to the trees early in the morning for a rest after eating and get get some safety from the predators. normally you can see them on the edges of the openings. So what you do is you sneak somewhere where you have a good spot to shoot. Do you do this in North America and if not, why? Is the birds behavior so different in there? Just to clarify we mostly hunt black grouse and capercaillie this way.

And question 2: Do you hunt upland birds with a spitz? Spitz first drives the bird up to the tree and then marks and distracts the bird with its barking while hunter sneaks closer for a shot with a shotgun if the forest is dense or with a rifle if he/she has the view for it?

We up here seem to use much bigger caliber rifles for these too, I have for example .308 which I use for a upland birds. With a right bullet it works good for anything from black grouse to moose. Just need to be sure is nothing behind the bird for 3 kms. Which is not really a broblen in here because Finland is one big forest anyway.