HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Puzzled. Need Explanation.
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 09:55 AM
JGFLHunter
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
So I went to the range and shot some reloads. I wanted to check expansion of round but instead of expanding most of the bullets actually shrunk? I did crimp them But barely. What the heck is going on, I've never experienced this. The groups were ok.
I did some testing and non crimp bullets from magazine to chamber can add .010 to OAL. With the instructions from the crimp die it added .002 to OAL. I believe that's maximum crimp. How much is actually needed? Is maximum safe?
The best groups were at 28.5 grains of H322 with 110 Pro Hunter

6.8 AR platform
I see how it confused everyone. I meant after shooting a cartridge the case usually expands correct? I wanted to see the case expansion after firing my reloads. I shot 36 rounds. I had 12 cases that were the same or longer. The rest were actually shorter then the trim length after firing the ammo, I don't think that's common? This was crimped ammo, but very very light.

I did testing with crimp and non crimp rounds in my AR 6.8 to see how much the overall length varied(from magazine to chamber). With the FCD instuctions, the rounds still moved to add .002-.003 to total length( I belive that was maximum). Non crimped ammo added .007-.010 to overall length. How do I know how much crimp is needed and still to be used efficiently? Should crimp ammo stay the same length when it is getting feed from magazine to chamber or will it move slightly line in my testing? Any good videos on YouTube, I haven't found one yet about crimping And how to do it properly? Hopefully that cleared it up. Thanks.