HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sako 85 Ejection issues
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Beerbrewer
Spike

In my case, the shell casing was ejecting almost straight up, so I don't know if raising the scope would fix the issue. Heck, I'd have to almost side mount the scope, like I've seen on some old level action rifles!

After making my original post I did a search on Berretta's web page and found the following:

XXXXXXXXXX

Sako-Tikka Ejection Issues
Answer ID 997 | Published 09/05/2014 04:25 PM | Updated 09/05/2014 04:25 PM
I purchased a Sako 85 rifle and mounted a scope on it. I'm having issues with spent brass striking the scope. What can I do to resolve this issue?

Occasionally, we receive customer complaints regarding Sako rifles ejecting spent cases that either strike the scope or strike the scope turret and fall back inside the action of the rifle. This situation is predominately caused by both the scope mounts and type of scope (particularly scopes with extended turrets) installed on the rifle. A secondary consideration is how rigorously the bolt is operated by the user.

Beretta will not consider rifles that exhibit the condition above to be a warranty issue. Provided that the rifle fully extracts and ejects the spent casing, the rifle will be considered functional and serviceable. Sako Arms cannot anticipate every possible scope mounting configuration when designing their rifles. Since the selection and installation of the scope and mounts are determined by the owner, it is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the system will not interfere with the operation of the rifle.

An extremely small number of rifles have been returned for service for this issue and our analysis has indicated that the combination of scope mounts, scope type and scope turret location in relation to the ejection path of the spent casing have been the proximate cause creating this condition. In order to alleviate this condition, we recommend that the owner try various scope mounting options to find the one that works best.

XXXXXXX

Frankly I was shocked when I read this, so much for Beretta's customer service! My rifle would expel the spent casing without the scope on, so I guess mine would not have been considered a warranty issue.....I'm glad that I returned the rifle.