HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bullet Question
Thread: Bullet Question
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 10:49 AM
pooldoc
Fork Horn

I started using Knight in-line muzzle loaders for all my hunting in 2007. My first WT was killed with a Barnes 250 gr Expander and the next with 1 250 gr TMZ. Both are great bullets and perform well on game, and retained 98% of their original weight. At that time BH 209 hadn't been introduced and I used Pyrodex and 777. The stock Barnes sabots were hard to load so when Hornady introduced their EZ load sabot I started using their SST in 300 gr. For the next 3 yrs. it killed everything I hit, but I wasn't satisfied. Some shots fragmented to the point that all that remained was the copper cup and others were through and through. Based on posted comments other hunters were concerned about the same problem. The WT's on our W.Texas lease aren't real large, but we have Aoudad, Axis, Fallow and some very large hogs, so at the start of the year I switched to Harvester's 300 gr. PT Gold bullet, a black crush rib sabot pushed by 110 gr of BH 209 and a Winchester regular 209 primer. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. It's a very accurate load and of the 8 animals I killed, 6 dropped where shot and neither of the other 2 made more than 10 yds. Terrific down range performance. Lots of internal damage, but no bullet break-up. I use the 300 over the 250 because it has a better ballistic coefficient and retains more down range energy. None of that matters however if you can't deliver the bullet at the right spot. Lots of Range time from various shooting positions with a steady rest will pay huge dividends. Good hunting.