HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how's your deer herd
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 05:29 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

It will be interesting. The worst time of the year for deer is early spring. They have pretty much used up ther fat reserves and most of the food high and low has been eaten and if there is a lot of snow on the round as there is now it takes a lot of effort for the deer to move and find what food is left under the snow. There are several hundred acres of fenced in land very close to my house with a deer herd this year of thirty something. The land is owned by Armstrong World Industries and they allow no hunting. There are small strips of woods and the rest is farmed in corn and the herd is too large for the roperty. Although the deer could get out they rerely do. In a nomal winter with the kind of snowfall we get the deer do ok, but this year I am seeing them out looking for food all day long and they pretty much have gleaned the fields clean, and I would not be surprised if some of the bred doe will resorb their fawns because of lack of food. We just had another 10 inches of snow two days ago. On top of the snow we have had a record breaking cold spell that has lasted a long time and the colder it is the more fat a deer burns and the more food they need. I haven't heard from anyone in the northern tier counties but I suspect the deer are yarded up and hungry.