HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - climbing stand safety
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 07:07 PM
SecondChance
Nontypical Buck

I'll make this short. My younger brother, 6'-6", 285#, fell on 11-17-13 here in So. Illinois while in his climber descending. He was approx. 23' up when it happened. Had been 31'. Pull up rope is 30'. He had taken the rope between the seat and floor and disconnected to descend. Bottom fell away(failed to bite tree) and he came down to only have the bottom finally grab at 16' and launch him backwards and down. Landed on his back/neck/shoulder area. Slammed his knees into his chest with his backpack still on. Weapon on ground. Broke 8 ribs, cracked sternum, dislocated shoulder, pulled left calf muscles, hyper-extended knee and minor concusion. And had his safety harness system on, but no connect rope to tree while descending.
I bolt ALL my ladder and lock-ons to the tree as well as use the ratchet straps to secure it to the tree. I also use a prussic knot system for all my stands. I am a Cert. Il Hunter Safety Instr. and preach and show I use and make my prussic knot system in my classes.