HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - At 400 Yard--Hard Cast Boolit
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 11:40 AM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Default At 400 Yard--Hard Cast Boolit

Screwbolts sent me these boolit, and calls them 289g water dropped wheel weight hard. They are intended to use in a sabot.

It was -4 at the house this morning at dawn. When i left home i intended to shoot from a nice warm truck at 100 yard, and sight in the Optima using the cast boolit. The boolit shot so straight, i thought perhaps i could try them at 400 yard.

Here is the VIDEO of shooting the boolit at an old rotten chunk of firewood.

One can see the wind really dissipates the smoke from the rifle quickly. The temperature up on the ridge was 9 degrees. The gps say the elevation of the rifle was 5094', and the elevation of the target was 5122'. The chunk of firewood fell down before i was ready to shoot. However, i could just so barely see the wood chunk laying down in the grass, so took the shot, which hit the rotten old chunk. Didn't bring a jug to shoot at, because i didn't plan to try a 400 yard shot in the bitter cold.

This next photo shows a puff of smoke from the rifle, and the rotten firewood chunk lying in the grass, with the boolit on the way.

The last photo shows the smoke from the rifle blown away away, and pieces of the rotten wood flying in the air, after being struck by the boolit.