HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - who likes snow goose?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 07:19 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

I don't think there is a better eating duck than teal. Canvasbacks are very good. Unfortunately, I doubt any of us will ever get to eat a canvasback that has been gourging on wild celery which gave them the flavor they were famous for back in market hunting days. The wild celery is about gone from the Chesapeake bay. The only duck I ever tried to eat and could not was a shoveler. The problem with water fowl, even more than other game is people have a tendency to way over cook them which destroys the flavor and makes them like rubber. If a duck breast isn't deep pink inside, it is over cooked. Also plucking and leaving the skin on makes for better eating, especially on those late season birds with lots of fat under the skin. There are times when ducks will feed on something that will give them a bad taste, usually divers but it is possible with all of them. Atlantic Brant taste like low tide smells when they are feeding on sea lettuce in the salt water bays. Get them on fresh water for a week or so and it is a whole new ball game and many of the oldtimers like them better than Canadas.