HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Testing the new Lehigh 40x200 Xtreme Penetrator
Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Thanks for the report Sabot. That is some very good shooting and that bullet looks "nasty". I'm not sure how the expansion on this bullet would be. I'd really like to see that at a couple different velocities.
Although I never hit the shoulder, the deer I have taken with a .40 cal 200 gr XTP have all been pass throughs so I'm not sure these would provide any additional benefit to me.
Bronco there is not expansion at all or of any very little. The destruction occurs when the bullet passes through and it creates 'cavitation' sort of like a propeller turning in water. The cavities collect fluid and then direct it out, up, and in a rotational turn. This cavitation causes the fluid to rips and tear and tear organs.

The bullet cavitation will function down to 800 fps. Because of this reduced loaded loads will work especially for the younger people and people that prefer a light recoiling fully functional bullet, but yet is strong enough to punch through the bone mass of an animal if you might hit a major bone.

The other day when I was shooting it with reduced loads - 90 gr. and on down seemed less recoil than shooting my 222 or 22-250 - yet the bullet would function (within a given range) much like it were shooting it with 120 grains.

Of all the Hornady's that I have shot from a ML or Rifle the 200XTP might be the most reliable. Even in torture testing I many less failures with it than any other Hornady - excluding their monlitics or bonded bullets.