HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to outfitting, looking for your advice.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Big Uncle
Nontypical Buck

I am not an outfitter, nor am I a guide. However, I am a guy that takes guided hunts and have some insight from that point of view.

You have been given some excellent advice. Understand your target market. Do your best to understand the nature of prospective hunters. Some guys want a higher quality hunting experience, some do not care about anything but a trophy to display, a very few want high-end accommodations, some guys just want a cheap hunt. Everyone wants a clean safe camp, and good food. Be very clear about what you actually have to offer and avoid "wishful thinking".

Giving away a hunt probably will not impress anyone except the individual that takes your offer. I have seen fellows that become "regulars" on some hunting boards that have done well at starting their outfitting services (most notably on African hunting sites). After they are known for a while and exhibit some common sense and good manners they entice some with a discounted hunt or a group hunt. A few happy hunters that spend a lot of time on the internet can spread the word of mouth quickly. An example would be Tootabi Safaris on Africahunting.com and accuratereloading.com. He has not been around long at all but he got the right guys talking.

Work hard and good fortune may just find you.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 02-20-2015 at 09:58 AM.