HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to outfitting, looking for your advice.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:29 AM
munna07
Spike

Originally Posted by TwoBear
Munna, some advice. In the long run you are doing no service giving away hunts. To me, the biggest problem by far and away that outfitters are too often cash strapped. This leads to two problems: outfitters that make promises they can't keep, and overbooking/under staffed. Never promise anything you cannot absolutely deliver, and don't try to book every person that wants to do a hunt. Some people may not fit with what you offer, and that is ok. Spend your money on things you can control, staff, accommodations, food etc as you cannot control the weather and animals.
It is imperative to be honest with people, not just in outfitting but in life in general. Just tell it like it is. I believe if you work hard and be honest, you can be successful at any occupation.
I would certainly look at additional revenue streams and not get yourself in a position financially that forces you to make improper business decisions. Outfitting is a very expensive business with large associated cost. One year the USFS didn't grade and a late frost heaved many jagged rocks in the road to the trailhead. We blew 11 tires on horse trailers/trucks through the season, the down time with paid staff plus tire cost added up quick, things happen. You want to expand your client base, but think in terms of controlled expansion. Always have a plan in place to put money back into the business in equipment, staff, upgrades etc.
Thank you very much for the advice. I plan on small steps and I do have secondary work, to make up slow times. When I have any profits it has been going into the business, but there is a lot of cost.
I appreciate all advice and I am always looking to learn more.