HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - need advice on deer nutrition
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Outdoor Addiction
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by X_Rayted35
i have been seeing really big Deer on camera since season ended. One walked out last night that looked like a damn horse through my binoculars even though it was almost dark and he was 600 yards out. They got that way without us taking a strict QDMA approach and spending tons of money of food plots and supplements. That being said if they got to be nice 8-10 pointers by 3.5 or even 2.5 then clearly the genes are there. I just want to give them a little extra boost that might make the difference between "Just another nice Deer" and "Holy **** that thing is going on my wall!"

where do you usually put them? I have tried some cheaper blocks from my local hunting store just to see if they would work before buying nicer stuff. The deer never seemed to use them. I tried putting them on stumps like they packaging said. Tried raking out a spot and hoeing it a few inches deep like the packing said. Even just said hell with it and dumped 2 of them next to a corn pile. The things looked like they werent touched all season. I think they finally just washed away from rain because even after they were gone didnt look like a deer was hoofing at them.
I always clear a 4x4ish spot to the dirt and drop it there. Early spring to late summer is when I've found best to use them. I never do anything special with them just basically drop them in the dirt!