HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many different muzzleloaders have you had multiple big game harvests with?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
Hunter Safety classes are still free here last I heard. I went with my then 12 y/o grandson back 3 years ago when it was a 8 hr. all day class. We both got 100 on the final test...I agree they should take the course first before hunting. Dad wouldn't let my brother or I hunt till we did.
I agree..

Nothing against kids hunting at younger ages, but I'm uncertain about the "youth mentor" program that PA now has in place. I know it has a meaningful purpose, but I have a feeling that some undesirables actually use this as an outlet for their own benefit. Oh well, that's a whole new topic for us to discuss later. When my son was nearing hunting age, I let him "accompany" me on a few deer hunts where we had to sit still, look, and listen. I never shot a deer while he was with me even though we saw deer because back then, our state (PA) had a divided season during the regular firearms season (two weeks buck only, 1-3 days of doe only). While he may not have had the opportunity to kill a deer or experience me field dressing one at that age, he did learn a valuable skill...PATIENCE!!

When it came time for his first appointment with deer season, he was ready but couldn't make it happen because he just didn't have those few extra skills we have all gained from experience. I watched a group of 6-8 deer passing below us on opening day of Buck season at a distance of 75-80 yards and while I did a quick check for for antlers, I saw that the last deer had a rack. I whispered to my son.... "The last one is a buck... as soon as he's in the clear, take your shot." Well... they all walked by unscathed because he was so mesmerized by the fact that he was the guy holding the rifle (I didn't even have a rifle with me, just a pair of binoculars), that he was too busy looking at the does as they passed by rather than doing a quick scan of what's what and picking out the one you're going to shoot.

Long story short... by the time he realized there was a buck in the group, even though I had already given him the "head's up", the buck slipped back into the cover and was gone...

He killed his first buck the next season, and 5 more after that. He no longer hunts, but it's not because he has a problem with hunting. He has a professional career now and he's still climbing ladders. As he explained it to me... my time off is very limited and I love to fish, (as do I) so I'd rather fish when I have the time. As he told me... I can fish year around, but I can only deer hunt part of the year so I'd rather fish.

I guess it's a matter of... "To each his own"...

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 02-15-2015 at 09:12 AM.