HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Hunt That Changed My Life
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Outdoor Addiction
Fork Horn

Default The Hunt That Changed My Life

What's up guys! I'm new to this site but have about 8 years hunting under my belt! I'm 23 years old and live in a small town in Greene Co., IN. In my time hunting I've learned a lot about myself. Being a hunter is about more than shooting the first critter you see and takes a lot more work than waking up and grabbing your gun. Personally I prefer using my bow but I like the challenge a lot more.

Patience is the number one key! My first year was a fluke. But it really got me interested. I had a buddy that had tried to get me to go for several years and I just didn't have the interest. One November evening we were hanging out and he said, "Let's go. I'm taking you hunting." So he took me to his stand (which I helped set up) and got me situated. He left and went to his ground blind a little ways away and told me that if I see one SHOOT IT! So after getting to the stand at around 6:15 PM I sat anxiously not expecting to ever see anything. But lo and behold a single doe came strolling in 25 yards to my left. With much hesitation I got myself into position and took the shot. Greatly to my surprise the doe dropped in her spot! The level of adrenaline I had at that moment was unmatched to anything I had experienced before! From then on I wanted to know everything there was about deer and began researching them and asking people I knew everything I could squeeze out of them.

To this day, hunting is the most time consuming, yet rewarding thing, that I do! I wouldn't want to spend my time anywhere else if I didn't have to! Moral of the story is that all it takes to get someone interested is that one opportunity to harvest an animal, no matter the species, and you can change a life forever! So if you haven't yet and you get the chance, take a young one with you next time you go and let them experience it, show them the way, and be an example of what a true sportsman really is!