HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Colorado pheasant opener
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2003, 07:51 AM
Jorgy
Nontypical Buck

Default Colorado pheasant opener

Being a transplant from the midwest the thing that I have always missed about living in Colorado is the bird hunting. We have some real hit and miss years for pheasant hunting. Last year was a total bust. Drought, bad hailstorms in the summers will knock down the pheasant poplulation to barely huntable numbers. So what would this year be like? I was pleasently surprised to see more roosters just driving to our hunting spot (3) than I saw in the entire opening weekend of last year. So how was this year you might ask, friggen awesome!

We had a great group of 14 guys, and in the very first field we pushed, we got atleast 100 roosters up. The shooting was fast and often, I went through a box of shells in the first 30 minutes of our hunt, and was limited out before I hit the blockers. What a difference a year makes. We hunted hard all day and ended up with 32 roosters in the end. The best opener I have ever been a part of. What was even better is that we had 3 kids with us (2- 12y/o and a 13 y/o) and they all got birds and had a great safe hunt to inductrinat them into pheasant hunting. As a group we figured that converatively we had atleast 200 roosters up in the day, my guess would be around 250 though. Man, what a blast!

If I ever figure out how to upload a picture small enough for this web site I will post the end result of our hunt.