HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Leupold Scope
Thread: Leupold Scope
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 06:45 PM
miketodd58
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
I've always wanted a Leupold scope and now I am in the process of getting one, just don't know what to choose. I am building a 6.8SPC, so it most likely go on that when I finish but in the meantime it will be on my 5.56. I am going to use it for hogs now and then will be deer next year when I mount it on the 6.8 for good. I like THE VXR 4-12x50 and x40. I'm not sure which I should get. Usually 100 is my go to shoot. Sometimes up to 200. But that's really rare. Suggestions

the 40mm is 100 bucks cheaper and I know cds is pretty much interchangeable with their Scopes as long as I get the right data for the right gun. If I got the 40mm it comes with a cds. The 50mm does not.
Is this going to be a big game scope primarily?

If the lowest a scope will go is 4x that's alot of power for a low powered scope. You are giving up a lot of low light performance for that extra 4x at 14 power over say a 2.5x10.

Low light is where a lot of big game animals are killed. 4x even with a big ole honking objective bell still limits your extended periods of legal light.

2.5 x10x 42 mm might be the best range of power vs light transmission ever devised. They are fairly big and heavy for the most part, they work OK for a sporter weight or bean field rifle,

For a lightweight or ultra light rifle a good quality Leupold 1.75x6 or 2x8 makes for one dandy of a application.