HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloader Hunting Help
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 AM
wernerjd
Fork Horn

Default Muzzleloader Hunting Help

This year while deer hunting late muzzleloader season I encountered a few issues. First I will mention that I shoot a 50 cal. Muzzleloader with 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets. The bullet I’m using is 250 SST Hornady. The first five does I shot with this combination I shot and had great blood trail and the deer maybe went 10 – 15 yards. All deer were standing broadside when shot and between 80-150 yards. Last year’s doe I shot with all the same info from above with no blood trail and the recovery of probably 200 yards.
This year I shot at the first doe at probably 50 yards broadside with no blood and no deer found. So I thought maybe I missed. The second deer was a buck at probably 80 yards with a great rest and broadside. No blood and no deer found. Now I thought that maybe the gun was off. I went to another farm and shot three times at 50 yards and 3 times at 100 yards each group were right on and the three shots were touching the other. Now I’m confused. I go out again and aim for the shoulder thinking maybe I can disable the deer so there is no or little recovery. The doe dropped in her tracks at 50 yards broadside. With another tag I shot at another decent buck at 100 yards broadside nothing. Now really confused I just about give up, till another doe comes out at 150 and shoot and she drops in her tracks.
So my question to you is the pellets that I’m shooting bad, being they are like 7 years old? Is the bullet not mushrooming like they’re supposed to, or due to bad pellets not allowing the bullet to mushroom? Or was I all out missing? If I was missing I don’t understand how when I had a good rest each time. Also the first five I shot I had a poor rest.
Sorry for the long rant just puzzled to why I had so much trouble this year. Thanks for any help.