HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hope I never have to see that in the woods again
Old 11-15-2003, 07:00 PM
rangerstud620
Fork Horn

Default Hope I never have to see that in the woods again

I was on stand all day today and had to see something twice that I hope I never have to see again. I noticed 2 bucks moving behind me around noon. I happened to see that one of them seemed to be limping. He was a young 8 pt, but definetly had some great potential. When he stepped out of the brush, my heart sank. Someone had just about blown his front left leg off. I' m assuming it was a rifle hunter since I don' t think an arrow could do damage like that. He was not moving very well at all. It was not a pretty sight to say the least. I checked for blood after I left my stand but did not see any. I don' t think he will make it through the winter though.

A little later I saw a doe behind me and noticed she too was limping. My heart sank again when I saw that her back left leg was barely attached thanks to an awful rifle shot. I could see both her back legs were bloody. She layed down for about 5 minutes and then got up and took off running past me. As she came by, I could see where another awful rifle shot had grazed her back taking fur off down to the skin. She was in real rough shape and made a sickening sound when she layed down. About 15 minutes later, 3 people came by tracking her. I told them that they blew her back leg off and the one kid kind of laughed about it. About a half hour and 4 shots later, I believe they finally finished her off after tracking her for about 3/4 mile. I will put any amount of money on it that she was hit when she was booking it across a clearing.

I would have liked to take both deer out of their misery but neither presented a clean shot. Stuff like that makes me sick and I hope I never have to see it again.