HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NYC deer
Thread: NYC deer
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 08:25 AM
ModernPrimitive
Typical Buck

Default NYC deer

To me, the solution is obvious; in fact, Nassau county has an extended January season this year,iirc.

3304% deer population increase in 6 years!

The source:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/14/75...y-deer-problem

Out of the wild
Deer are invading New York City, and we don't know how to stop them
By Brendan O'Connor

Just before Christmas of last year, John Caminiti, who lives in Staten Island, New York City’s least populated borough, watched traffic come to a standstill outside the Staten Island Mall. "It got quiet all of a sudden," Caminiti told me. "I look around, and there was a big buck, standing right on the fringe of the wilderness and the mall. A calm came over people."

Staten Island is located a half-hour by ferry off the southern tip of Manhattan, and the Caminitis have lived here for almost a century. "My grandmother was a baby when my great-grandfather brought her over here," he said. At that time, the island had practically no deer. Then the island had a few deer. Now there are a lot of deer, and they are everywhere.

Nobody really knows where the herds came from. The Staten Island Advance reported sightings as far back as 1991; according to The New York Times, deer began appearing "with some frequency" around 2000.

In 2008, the New York Department of Environmental Conservation conducted a survey of Staten Island’s deer population. The biologist who searched the woods estimated there were approximately 24 white-tailed deer in the borough. Last winter, the New York City Parks Department conducted an aerial, infrared survey of the island and found 793 individuals — an apparent 3,304 percent increase in just six years.
"an apparent 3,304 percent increase in the deer population in just six years"

Deer on the island have gone from a rarity to a delight to a problem with no immediate solution. "I never saw a deer until I went away to college," Sam Immo, a 23-year-old Staten Island native, told me. "When my friends and I were learning to drive, driving at night was a non-issue," she said. "The first time I almost hit a deer, I was flabbergasted."

The consequences of white-tailed deer overabundance extend beyond trampled gardens, the spread of tick-borne disease, or even car collisions. (The Department of Sanitation had a contractor remove 34 "large dead deer" from Staten Island’s roads in 2013.) Too many deer will ruin an ecosystem for years to come, leaving forests barren; eventually, the deer’s insatiable appetite will lead to its own starvation. While Staten Island, New York City’s greenest borough, hasn’t quite reached that point, without management efforts in place, the island will get there soon enough. Under favorable conditions, deer populations can double every two to three years. Staten Island — an area just shy of 60 square miles — might expect its deer population to reach 3,000 by 2017.

It’s a pattern that has unfolded across the American Northeast and Midwest over the past 30 years. White-tailed deer — once on the brink of extirpation in the United States — find refuge in the parks, backyards, and golf courses of suburban and exurban America. Humans are largely at fault: the way we develop things, with our fondness for cultivated, abrupt treelines, wide-open soccer fields, and the absence of hunters and predators are ideal for deer. As far as they are concerned, Staten Island — best views of the Manhattan skyline in the tri-state metropolitan area! — is as nice a place to live as any. Unmanaged, however, the population will become an increasingly expensive problem, with any semblance of balance difficult to restore. That one of New York City’s five boroughs will soon be overrun with hundred-pound pests (some with horns), at this point, seems inevitable.

Last edited by ModernPrimitive; 01-18-2015 at 06:38 AM.