HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have Oct 2016 off. What hunting trip to do solo?
Old 01-14-2015, 04:09 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cog
Thanks... I had originally titled my post with 2015, but second-guessed myself knowing there was a recent change in the year.

Ram hunt is a very interesting suggestion. I guess I'd always imagined there'd be a 10 year wait to get a ram tag. Do you have more information on what equipment would be necessary? I've got a 70-L backpack, 3-season tent, stove (white gas - work at higher altitudes?), 30 deg down bag (have a fleece liner and can wear merino wool long johns and a hat if it's much colder), Therm-a-rest, appropriate clothing, boots, rifle, but no optics. Is there usually snow during the season? Is the terrain forgiving of a sled for packing out meat or hauling in gear?

If I go out West I'd planned on buying a Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 binocular. A nice treat to myself and something which will serve many years of good service. I don't know if a spotting scope on top of the binocs would be in my budget; how would binoculars compare to a spotting scope for a hunt like this?

Can I use aerial maps to help focus my search? What sort of features do I look for - cover, water, food? What's their preferred forage? How about hunting techniques--standard stalk and spot? Are there calls or decoys you can use to locate or lure them with? How's their sense of smell? If I don't see a ram, are there ever opportunities for OTC tags on deer/elk in the same units?
First thing to do is get ahold of the game dept of MT and research the unlimited sheep hunts. They have them in a couple of areas. You need to decide which one you will try to hunt and then go from there. Most western states keep detailed info on where things like sheep and goats are taken so you can see which areas consistently produce sheep. They usually have the names of the successful hunters as well. Contact them for up to date info. Topo maps or google earth can help you look over the area. Mind you that maps are only a starting point. That's why I suggest getting there 3 weeks before the season so you can put boots on the ground and do some serious scouting and glassing.

And, if you are considering sheep hunting, start working out. Whatever you weigh right now you can bet is at least 20 lbs more than you want for sheep hunting. Hit the stairs and get your legs and lungs in shape. They aren't called mountain game for no reason. Gear needs to be top quality and light weight. Take what you need and no more. When it is on your back every single ounce matters.