HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have Oct 2016 off. What hunting trip to do solo?
Old 01-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Cog
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Next fall is 2015.
Thanks... I had originally titled my post with 2015, but second-guessed myself knowing there was a recent change in the year.

Ram hunt is a very interesting suggestion. I guess I'd always imagined there'd be a 10 year wait to get a ram tag. Do you have more information on what equipment would be necessary? I've got a 70-L backpack, 3-season tent, stove (white gas - work at higher altitudes?), 30 deg down bag (have a fleece liner and can wear merino wool long johns and a hat if it's much colder), Therm-a-rest, appropriate clothing, boots, rifle, but no optics. Is there usually snow during the season? Is the terrain forgiving of a sled for packing out meat or hauling in gear?

If I go out West I'd planned on buying a Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 binocular. A nice treat to myself and something which will serve many years of good service. I don't know if a spotting scope on top of the binocs would be in my budget; how would binoculars compare to a spotting scope for a hunt like this?

Can I use aerial maps to help focus my search? What sort of features do I look for - cover, water, food? What's their preferred forage? How about hunting techniques--standard stalk and spot? Are there calls or decoys you can use to locate or lure them with? How's their sense of smell? If I don't see a ram, are there ever opportunities for OTC tags on deer/elk in the same units?