HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have Oct 2016 off. What hunting trip to do solo?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Cog
Spike

Default Have Oct 2016 off. What hunting trip to do solo?

Hey guys,

I have Oct 5th - Nov 6th (ish) off next fall. I wanted to do a DIY elk rifle hunt, but I don't have any friends who can come with. So, now I am wondering what I should do with the month off. I have a slug gun, muzzle loader, rifle, and will be buying a bow in the next month.

What would be the best big game hunting trip out West for a newbie hunter? I live in Minnesota and have only hunted whitetail deer (have not had a shot at a buck in the four years I have hunted). I have been limited in my free time by being in school and consequently haven't been able to scout etc.

I was thinking maybe a rifle hunting trip for antelope and/or mule deer would give me the best chances of success, and also the most likely route to rope a buddy into coming with. Any suggestions for great opportunities in the month of Oct for slugs, MLs, rifle, or bow that a newbie might have some good chances of success with solo? Antelope, mule deer, elk, moose, black bear would all be great.. but I've got realistic expectations.

I do have a GPS, have good equipment, and am willing to invest in particulars if it would help to ensure in a successful hunt. I'd ideally cut down on costs but having the whole month off gives me kind of a unique opportunity.

I appreciate your input!

Last edited by Cog; 01-12-2015 at 09:05 PM.