HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-30 ammo
Thread: 30-30 ammo
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 11:26 AM
buckman11
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I came across a Glenfield 30A (precursor to the Marlin 336) on a trade almost 20yrs ago, and that was my "cure" for the case of magnumitus that I was already developing. I had hunted with a borrowed 270win, then had bought a 30-06 as my first deer rifle, but was getting ribbed that I should have bought a 7mm Rem mag or a 300win mag. I didn't need the rifle, but I got the 30-30 as a part of a trade for a saddle, and it basically came across that I got the rifle for free since the saddles we traded were really about equal value.

Since I was just a kid and didn't know anything more than what I was getting told, I was expecting 100yrds with the Glenfield would be "stretching it". So I started reloading rounds and walking the target farther and farther down range. I started having trouble managing the drop with open sights at 300yrds, so I labeled it a 250yrd deer rifle. I was shooting Core-lokts at that time, so that's what I stuck with. Fast forward 20yrs, I very seldomly carry a .30-30 in the field, as I favor the 44mag levergun to the 30wcf, but I've taken a dozen or so deer with 30-30 leverguns between 100-250ish yards. I've had a couple 336's and win 94's, still wish I hadn't sold that old Glenfield out of all of them. Win 94 Trapper was a fun one, even though it held a round or two less than the longer models.

Pretty hard to argue with the Rem Core-lokts, and I've killed almost all of my 30-30 deer with them, but I'm a big fan of the killing performance of the Hornady Revolution bullets in other rounds, so I started using them a few years ago for what little 30-30 shooting I do. The trajectory benefit over 200-300yrds for the .30-30 between the LeverEvolutions and conventional round/flat point 30-30 bullets isn't really as relevant as the difference the pointed tips make for other levergun rounds, but they do a great job killing, so I'm a big Leverevolution fan.
Yep. I love my old Glenfield, put down 3 deer with it this year. One of em @ 200 yards. Its a great gun.
Attached Images