HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington 700 ADL in 243
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bucklessyooper
Sweet setup! If I read correctly its pillar bedded? how hard is that to do? Still a low level shade tree gunsmith here,but put after market triggers in my remington,ruger,and DPMS rifles, so have done some work.
I did a bit more write up on this project over in the gunsmithing projects sub-forum:

HNI Gunsmithing Projects Sub-forum Thread: Quick and Simple ADL Spiff Up

It's not that hard to install the pillars, it just costs a bit to get the proper fixtures to do it, or takes a lot of precision set up time in your drill press to align it.

Be very cautious and go gently as your drill bits exit the stock, else you'll split chips out of the belly of your stock. I generally do all of mine with a variable speed drill bit at first, then turn the last bit with a T handle or brace.

The cheapest option is to buy piloted counterbores, like these below:

midway USA baker piloted counter bores.

Piloted counter bores work alright, but aren't perfect, since the pilot guide gets shorter and shorter as you drill through.

The better option is a hardened drilling guide like the Score High kit that I use, linked below:

Brownells Score High rem 700 drilling jig

The down side to this thing is that it's expensive if you're only doing one rifle. You also can rent it from score high, or at least you USED to be able to rent it from them.

Then you also need a set of stockmakers hand screws appropriate for your action and stock, or to make your own. These hold the pillars to the action while they're epoxied into the stock, then also hold the action into the stock when you glass bed the rest of the action.

Other miscellaneous common tools would include files, wood chisels, dremel/rotary tool, bedding tape, and of course, the epoxy and all of the accoutrement that it entails (Popsicle sticks, mixing tray, rubber gloves, release agent, and stuff to clean up).

I'll be doing a Savage B-mag and a few Ruger's this winter/spring, so I'll try to be better about taking pictures as I go through that process and post up another thread in the gunsmithing projects sub-forum just or bedding.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 01-01-2015 at 09:57 AM.