HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wolf hunting methods. (debating an anti)
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 11:56 PM
turke7
Spike

I have never heard of hunters going to shelters to get dogs for bait. One, hunters generally care deeply about animals and their welfare and won't sacrifice dogs to shoot wolves. If any sort of organic bait it will be guts from butchered animals such as a deer hunted in previous weeks etc and not a pet. I believe using dogs for tracking is legal but doesn't sound like an effective way to hunt. Calling is the most effective way and throwing out some bait can help too. Hunting wolves also isn't that easy as they are smart and elusive. Using a dog as bait is 100% illegal but you can use tracking dogs I believe but again you aren't taking random dogs from shelters. A tracking dog is well loved and well trained. The thing about using dogs is as soon as a wolf smells and hears a dog its going to take off and isn't going to climb a tree like a bear. The quotas on the amount of wolves that can be shot is also very limited to keep the amount of wolves to the correct levels for the area. If scientists, wildlife researchers etc decide only 100 wolves should be in a certain area to support a balanced population but their is 150 wolves they will issue tags to lower the population.