HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Seacant and Tangent ogive seating ?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by White Oak 06
Thank you for taking the time to help me understand .
Are nosler ABs and ballistic tips secant or tangent ?
What about fed. power shok ?
Oh ! Who makes the bullet for the power shok for federal ?

Thank you !!!!
I'll ask the loaded question - has someone mislead you to believe that the difference between secant or tangent ogive is important?

Having a secant or a tangent ogive, or a hybrid ogive, doesn't necessarily dictate that one will be more aerodynamic or more accurate than the other, and ultimately, it all ties together comparatively at the ballistic coefficient which is a lot easier to compare.

Here's a reality check - the Federal Power-Shok's aren't even in the same ballistic class as the Nosler Accubond or Ballistic tip, nor the same construction class:

Ballistic Coefficients for 30cal bullet, 150grn:

Nosler Accubond & Ballistic tip = 0.435
Federal Power Shok = 0.313

TERRIBLE aerodynamics for the Power Shok. They tend to have big, flat, wide meplats, poorly fit/formed lead points, and they're a flat base instead of a boat tail - Simply put, the Power shok is a run of the mill hunters bullet, not a precision long range hunters bullet.

Comparatively, launched at 2950fps from a 30-06, the 150grn Power Shok would drop an extra TWELVE FEET at 1,000yrds compared to the 150grn Accubond. The PS will have an extra ~10" of drop more than the Accubond at 500yrds.

Then if you look at the 'expansion envelope' for these bullets, i.e. the range of velocities that they'll effectively expand, you'll find that the Accubond and ballistic tip - and other bullets like them - will have a much broader range with much more reliable expansion, which means better killing performance in the field.

If I were spending my time and money reloading, and worried about nitty gritty details like secant vs. tangent ogive profiles, then Federal Power Shoks wouldn't even be in my vocabulary - which in fact, I DO spend my time and money reloading, AND do spend time considering secant vs. tangent ogives, and Federal Power shoks aren't welcome in my rifles. There are a lot prettier girls at the dance, with better personalities, that know how to cook better too.

There's really no magic in any of it. Pick an application, that'll dictate what you need your bullet to be able to do, then find a bullet that can do it, and a cartridge that can deliver it. If you already own the rifle, then you have to start from there and look for bullets that can perform with what your cartridge can deliver.