HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - sighting in your rifle for NE
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 05:04 AM
CT-Hunter
Spike

First I am deer hunter and not a target shooter. I set my rifles up to hunt deer and not targets. I am not obsessed about whether or not the rifle is precisely zeroed for 100 or 200 yard shots. If a rifle set for 100 yards is a bit high or low at 100 yards (by a bit I mean a half inch or so), it is not a big deal. The deer will not know the difference. As my eyes have aged, all my deer rifles, shot gun, and muzzle loader have grown good optics. Most are Leupold Vari-X III or VX-3. I have never shot a deer on anything but the lowest power and that includes some 250 yard shots on out of state hunting trips.

The range at which my rifles are zeroed depends on the rifle and what I plan to do with it. I have a couple of rifles that I may travel with, 30-06 and .270. At 100 yards (my club's rifle range) they are zeroed at 1.5" for the .270 and 1.75" for the 30-06 which gets me close to being zeroed at 200 yards. For other deer firearms ( 30-30, muzzle loader, and shotgun), 100 yards is fine. In southern New England, my longest shot has been 175 yards and there have been a few at 100. Typically most are about 50 yards.