HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - knight mountaineer
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 01:24 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sticks3
Thanks for all the responses guys! I read on here a lot but don't post much. Sabotloader mine is a 209 bare primer. Nfpj
Great! in my book that is the best option.

Another thing I've noticed more that you guys have brought it up is the dirty primers. Blowback. Seems like some times they are completely clean like the pictures above and other times they are filthy. I'd say about 50/50. Any answers on the cause of that?

Thanks again guys! Any info for a rookie will be appreciated!
That is a fairly easy fix... theoretically if/when you close the bolt you should actually crush the W209 primer just slightly. If that happens you should not get any blowback at all.

And as I suggested in an earlier post the tolerances of primers is pretty wide so I think you have a bunch of primers that are somewhat short allowing some blow back to occur.

Another thing that could cause the problem is that you might not be getting the bolt completely closed. Especially since the rifle is new to you. When you get a chance put a primer in place and close the bolt - you may feel some resistance as the primer runs up against the bottom of the primer pocket - but continue to push down until the bolt handle bottoms out on the receiver. When I put a primer in I close the bolt till it is snug and then tap the handle with the palm of my hand to make sure I have the 'crush'.

Also you might go outside or in the garage as I do and load a primer close the bolt verifying that it is all the way down - and pop the primer - it should come out clean.

Whoops - another thing to try open your bolt and close it without a primer - when you close it you will feel the bolt handle hit the receiver and stop... you should get that same feeling with a primer it just will not feel like a sharp STOP...

mike