HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - knight mountaineer
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 10:45 AM
BarnesAddict
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
Simple answer is yes they are ringed as you call them. Take a brand new Win 209 and you will see its ringed also. That has nothing to do with what the fired primer looks like. The bottom of the primer will have a bit of black on it also. See the sides of the primer? Clean, no blowback.
Well one question answered. Only the WIN209 NEW primers I have on the bench have a ring. The CCI209 and the CCI209M do not. Sorry but my camera just won't focus that close, or the photo would be attached.

Some may get by with WIN209 primers, that's ok for them. However, many more can not and its well documented if one searches the different forums. Ask Western what they'd prefer you use..... Just as its known that a bullet seated tightly provides better and more consistent ignition. But, its always the same handful of people that say the magnum primer "isn't necessary" or, "there's no difference", or "I've done testing". Well that may work for them under the conditions that they shoot or test but, I've yet to see testing by shooters, that provide loading data eliminating variables. Using a volume load and guessing on bullet seating pressures, would not be a great scientific test, specifically with BH, to many variables.

Cayugad on another forum that has shot WIN209's also states: If you remember a few things about the powder, remember this; the hotter the 209 primer the better......." "Also a tight fitting projectile is needed and the powder must be compressed tightly."
Shooters Forum 10/6-7/10.

Another test that shows different results with the different primers and light loads indicates almost a 50fps difference between magnum and standard primers. NORTH AMERICAN MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

Shot-Shell Primers
Federal 209A..............380 f.p.s.
CCI 209M...................378 f.p.s.
Remington STS..........344 f.p.s.
CCI 209......................338 f.p.s.
Fiocchi........................337 f.p.s.
Winchester 209..........333 f.p.s.
Mildest........Cheddite.....................326 f.p.s.

Article in Deer and Deer Hunting:

"..........I shot a .50-caliber Knight DISC Extreme 50 times using a 110-grain charge of Blackhorn 209 behind a saboted 300-grain Harvester Muzzleloading Scorpion PT Gold. I allowed four to five minutes between shots, but never wiped the bore. All 50 shots printed inside of 1.6 inches at 100 yards.To get this kind of performance with Blackhorn 209 requires using a very hot, magnum-strength No. 209 primer such as the CCI 209M or Federal 209A.With some breechplug designs that feature a flash hole of around .035-inch diameter, standard-strength primers such as the Remington STS, CCI 209 and Winchester 209 primers usually give excellent ignition of this powder. However, to reduce blowback, some in-line rifle manufacturers have gone to smaller-diameter flash channels in their breech plugs.Some of the Knight plugs now have a hole as small as .027-inch, and some of the T/C breechplugs have a flash hole that’s around .029-inch in diameter. With these, standard strength No. 209 primers can fail to put enough fire into the powder charge to ensure immediate ignition. However, the use of a magnum-strength primer produces more than enough heat and flame."

I've always stated, if it works for you than that's great. However it won't work for everyone and it shouldn't be made as though its always true. I guess I'll address it where others may not. Some of the same shooters on other forums that we're all part of, will say it flat out, if you want consistent ignition in all rifles designed to shoot BH, shoot one of the magnum primers.