HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - knight mountaineer
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 08:39 AM
BarnesAddict
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Sure they will shoot Mag primers but what is the need? The plug was designed to shoot all primers equally well using BH-209 powder.
Why do you feel the need to shoot a Mag primer? It does nothing but fill the flash channel faster? It does not create greater velocitiy as many think and it does not burn any cleaner.
Here is a test I ran one day shooting different primers...

Well what's the difference between the two primers and if there is no difference, why is most everyone shooting magnum primers, including the "top shots"? There's been many, not just a handful, of people that have had problems using just WIN209 primers, yet when they switched to a magnum primer, their problems went away. Although Western states that regular 209 primers will ignite BH, why then do they recommend magnum primers?

But they're all bad breech plugs, right???

The magnum primer is hotter and "can" provide higher velocities. Even the difference between F209A and CM's show different velocities that other's have shown, yet still provide identical group sizes at identical ranges. A couple reports have shown that the CCI209M will actually provide a flatter trajectory over the Federal 209M.

As far as your testing, what procedures did you use to eliminate variables, such as bullet seating force? Bullet seating pressure on BH will change the velocity, it can also affect other loose propellants velocities. Were all your primers, including the magnum primers ringed like those in your photo?

Like I originally stated in my very first post.........