HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Favorite Hand Gun For Small Game.
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I wish I had a better picture of this ol' girl, but this one is definitely my favorite firearm of all time, and it happens to be my go-to small game firearm (not just go-to handgun). I bought this stainless Ruger Mark II 22lr 'roundabouts 1999 from a buddy for $90. Best money I've ever spent. I've done a lot of small game hunting with it over the last 15yrs, but it's been my primary coon hunting (over hounds) weapon, and as such, has taken literally thousands of ringtail bandits. It's been my primary when running traplines, spent a few years on my belt when I was riding pastures and killed more than a couple errant badgers. I dropped a bunch of coyotes over the years in our feedlots with this one as well. She's been to the bottom of a pond/river twice, luckily I've found her afterwards, and she's ridden in that holster in the picture for many a mile on my hip. My kids are going to have to fly pretty straight to change my mind about having this one buried with me.

This is an older pic of some of our hides & carcasses thawing in the sun to take to the furbuyer - it represents about a month worth of hunts, minus some of the kills that we divided with our cousins that bring their dogs along sometimes too. CCI Mini-Mags with solid bullets (no HP's) are the way to go for a 22lr pistol on "medium sized small game" like badgers and coon. HP's will often smash flat on the skull and not penetrate at the low muzzle velocities of handguns.

Super cool to see this set of sub-forums come to life, gonna be a great ride!

Last edited by Nomercy448; 07-08-2017 at 12:37 PM.