HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Steel
Thread: Steel
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 08:38 AM
SecondChance
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Withabow
Taking my 12-year old duck hunting for the first time next week. I have a youth twenty gauge that I'm planning on letting him use (piece of garbage). I also have a Browning A5 twelve gauge that he shoots pretty well. The barrel says 'special steel', but I seem to remember that steel isn't good for the older (1970) A5's. Can any of you mud bloods give me your opinion - humble or otherwise?
If I remember corectly, kent makes soft non-toxic shot as well. That or Hevi-Shot makes a shot for the older guns and SxS's. Not knocking your weapons, but why do you say its a piece of garbage 20ga? It doesnt have to a 1K shotgun to kill ducks. And it doesn't have to be a 12ga SuperMagnum to kill ducks or even geese. Just correct shells and choke make all the difference. I go to canada every other year and Wisc. every year to hunt geese and kill far more geese and ducks with a 20ga then I do with my SX2 12ga. Just more fun and less kick. And a 20ga with proper shot and choke will kill ducks and geese and distances that will rival a 12ga!!!
Go online to find Bismuth or Kent Tungsten Matrix. I still have some of the Kent and my dad shoots them in his older Y Model 12 and just hammers ducks and geese with it in Mod choke.