HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer butchering cost?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 05:38 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Yep, things aren't always what they appear. I was inside every deer processor in my area, it did not take long to know where not to take a deer. There are a lot of professional shops that mix the meat from many deer to make product. My guy makes small batches and you must order at least the amount of his batch because he only uses the meat from your deer. He has an army of help, deer do not lay around. Deer are skinned when they arrive, cleaned and put in the coolers. My deer is hung for 6 or 7 days before it is cut up. Try finding a butcher who will do that, although it is probably to his advantage that I am in no hurry to get it back. It took me a while to find this guy after my previous butcher retired because good ones are few and far between. I take my wild hogs to him as well, If I get back from SC after dark, and they do not come out to the shop when I get there, I put my cooler in the walkin with a tag with my name on it so I don't have to worry about holding it over night and the ice melting, then tell him what I want the next day. Not many places give that kind of service.