HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - lost a deer. what do you think?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 05:22 AM
mainjet
Spike

Default lost a deer. what do you think?

I shot a doe yesterday at about 50 yards. slightly quarrying away. I believe I hit shoulder blade but the reaction of the deer was impossible to see because of the smoke from the shot.

After the shot she went about 30 yards and stopped. She was partially blocked by a tree but it looked like she squatted a bit and I thought she was going down. One off the other 5 deer that was with her was standing there looking back at her. Then then just kind of went on their way. Not running and not walking. All the deer after the shot seemed confused as to where to go. They didn't take off the just scattered a little and then looked around like what was that?

I was shooting my .54 Renegade with 90 grains behind a patched round ball. I recovered the ball at the sight where I hit her along with some bone fragments. The larger piece of bone has a little lead imbedded on the back of it which tells me this is bone from the opposite side of the deer where the shot was taken.

I found blood splatter at the hit sight and followed fairly light blood drops for about 30 yards to where it looked like she squatted. At that point I found a large amount of blood. Then after that I could only find another speck or two of blood and that was it. It's like she disappeared.

The large spot of blood where she squatted came from standing there for not more that 15 seconds.

" />

" />

" />

No appearent bubbles in the blood.

Stayed int he stand for 25 minutes after the shoot. Searched the area for 3 hours after with negative results.

Do you think she's dead?

Also found hair at the shot sight. Seemed more white/light brown than anything. about 1.5 inches long.