HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer butchering cost?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 05:01 AM
Uncle Nicky
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I am not saying the seasonal pop up deer deer processors can not do a good job, but I have not seen many good ones around here. These shops open up in garages and sheds during deer season and are no way prepared to do a decent job. They don't have commercial refridgeration or freezers, they don't have enough help to get the job done and even worse most are filthy. I have been in many of them and I would never allow any of them to work on my deer. Deer are stacked up on the ground like cordwood wating to be skinned, they can't get them skinned because they don't have a walkin and they can only work on one deer at a time then move on to another, on top of that, because they stack them up, the last deer are the first to be skinned and butchered. I really can't believe anyone could drive up to those operations and give them a deer to process. Fortunately, they seem to be few and far between today because people have learned having your venison ruined by poor handling is a high price to pay to save a few dollars.
I worked for the biggest processor in the area at the time just to learn the business, he had a large walk-in refrigerators and walk-in freezers. All this you mentioned above went on at his shop. Even worse, all sausage & ground meat was made in batches, everyone's deer mixed together and portioned out afterward. First week of deer season, he was leaving deer outside in piles, we couldn't get to them fast enough. Appearances can sometimes be deceiving.