HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer butchering cost?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 05:24 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

My butcher charges $52.00 to process a deer, an additional 6 bucks to wrap in paper and .38 a lb to vacume pack. He also makes a lot of good products, sausage, dry venison(think dry beef) hot dogs and others, they cost by the lb. I always know I get my meat back. There is a minimun of 10 lbs for sausage, his recipe is for 10 lb batches, that way no one elses meat gets into yours. He also will hang mine, skinned when I bring it in, and I mean now, for 6 to 7 days in the walkin. I also have my meat vacume packed in the amount I determine. I know how to butcher a deer, I butchered in a grocery store when they actually butchered meaty with a meat saw knife and cleaver. However, I have no place to hang my deer to age a bit and I do not have the equipment needed to make some of the things I like nor do I have a decent place to process the deer. I am perfectly happy with the guy I use and I am confident that I am getting my farm area deer back and not an upstate deer, and I think his prices are more than reasonable. I also take my wild hogs to him. If you have the equipment and the place to do it right, doing your own deer will add a lot to the experience, however, not all of us have that.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-17-2014 at 05:37 AM.