HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Managing bucks, THIS is what I like to see!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:52 AM
iayotehunter
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Quite frankly, I prefer for nature to manage bucks. The ferver over antler madness will be the ruination of deer hunting. If the high fence operations in Texas where the average guy can't afford to hunt, so be it but as far as worrying how old a deer is so he may grow bigger antlers goes, I could care less. My concern is is the deer legal, and how much meat will my freezer see. So you will have to forgive me, while I do like seeing nice buck, I don't get all shivery over them and a real big doe will make me just as happy as a buck.
And if you are looking at "how much meat my freezer will see" then it'd make more sense to shoot mature deer as they're larger in size. A mature doe will be larger than most bucks 3.5 and younger. So by the time a buck would be more profitable meat wise he'd have to be 4.5 which many people classify as mature.

Never understand why people say you can't eat antlers but then they go and shoot young bucks when a mature doe will provide more and better tasting meat