HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-06 bullet
Thread: 30-06 bullet
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 05:46 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I keep finding myself coming back to this thread, but I was hesitant to post until now simply because I know that this is a "do as I say, not as I do" issue, or a "if you asked me for advice, I'd tell you to use X, but I use Y".

I'd recommend a few other bullets in front of it, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I've been using Winchester 150grn Ballistic Silvertips (or handloads with the same bullet - Nosler/Winchester "Combined Technology" BST) exclusively in one of my .30-06's for coming up on 20yrs, and have killed over a hundred deer with them. I've had ONE splash that I hit square in the near shoulder, a buddy shot her a half mile away. Field dressing is much like serving stew - their innards are liquefied. Meat damage isn't bad unless you hit the near shoulder, exit wounds are reasonable. Bullet weight retention is low - jacket almost always separates from core, but I've had less than a handful of them not produce an exit wound.

If a guy asked me, I'd recommend a 165 or 168grn bullet in the .30-06, and I'd probably recommend an A-max, Interbond, SST, or Partition. Or for factory loads, the Core-lokt, Win Silverips or Power Points, or ANY cup and core expander would do the job. I've loaded and killed deer with .30-06, 308, and 300WM with other bullets over the years, but I've just never been motivated to use anything in that rifle except for the Winchester 150grn BST, or handload of the same bullet.