HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How Much Difference Does Velocity Make?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 07:49 AM
fowloutlawscanada
Spike

Originally Posted by hunter177
I know that most people use 1550 fps or higher loads for waterfowl and I understand it's for longer shots and possibly less lead. My question is how much will lowering velocity from 1550 to 1400 really affect performance out to 40 yards? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Hey hunter, in order to determine kinetic energy we use 0.5 x mass x velocity^2. Shaving off 150fps would decrease your energy by 18.5%. Would this make a big difference at 40yrds? Hard to say as this energy is calculated at the muzzle. You would need to look into drag on the shot to determine shot velocity at 40yards. Close range tho, an 18% difference wouldn't be very noticeable as the shot would more than likely pass through just as much in either load.

Personally I only shoot 1550... why? Because that's what I'm used to shooting. Although small, I don't want to have to remember to adjust my leads all the time and in my head I'm thinking I'm more accurate sticking with the 1550's. I'd say get used to one or the other (which ever fits your needs and pocket book), and go with it! Practice makes the difference too. Shooting 2000 rounds a year gets you on the mark pretty quick.