HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Maine Trophy Outfitters
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 08:02 AM
bikerman9967
Fork Horn

Default Maine Trophy Outfitters

figured i would give a review of Maine trophy outfitters where i hunted black bear in September. the outfit is owned and run by Dan Wagner. I was hunting black bear with hounds, he offers over bait as well. when i arrived on the Sunday i was met by his co-owner who does the cooking, Ashley. they have 6 rooms which are motel style rooms which sleep 6. Far from first class but typical of a Maine bear camp. had heat, showers, and toilet which is pretty nice at the end of the day, and far better then sleeping bags. they also have full kitchens which i didn't use all week due to having meals made for me by Ashley. There was one other hunter who came in late that night whom i didn't meet until morning. Typical day started up around 4 and we all met down at his main house where meals were served. breakfast was made to eat on the run, and we all headed out to check bait sites with the dogs. lunch, was pack lunch which we ate in the field. we would hunt until around noon, then head back to camp for the day. i would go out baiting with Dan in the afternoon just to pass the time. after dinner it was straight to bed.

as far as hunting we saw different sized bears almost every day, mostly small. we passed up 5 total through out the week. both the other hunter and myself were there for big bears and weren't going to shoot something under the 250-275 range. the other hunter left early on Friday, and i tagged out Saturday morning on the final day of hunting.

honestly i feel like things good have gone smoother during the week , we did have some rocky points. that said, Dan is one of the hardest working guys out there and will do whatever it takes to get you what you want. tagging out or not tagging out can sway opinions a lot when hunting with an outfitter. i would defiantly hunt with Dan again even if i didn't take home a bear. we had a lot of laughs and i made some new friends out of it.

i can give more info in private if someone is interested in hearing more.