HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement
Old 12-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

I wondered how many people would interject exactly what I stated and I see it has started while I was out raking leaves! Guys, the fact is that the inventor himself said the trigger was defective as soon as they started production in the late 40s, wanted to make changes, and Remington did nothing but deny the problem existed for over 6 decades! Those of you who talk about safe handling are only half right on this issue because if the gun goes off like they are when you don't have your finger anywhere near the trigger a ricochet with the gun pointed away from people can still injure or kill someone! It doesn't matter how many rounds have been through them for them all of a sudden to misfire and it has happened in the five figures. You don't hear about those, other than people coming on forums saying it happened to them and I've read that countless times in the last 4 or 5 years. The guy (Barber) that pushed the issue and finally got this recall under a class action lawsuit with others had his son killed and the rifle wasn't pointed at the boy when it misfired while his Mom was unloading it. The boy was on the far side of their empty stock trailer out of sight and the bullet went through the trailer and killed him. How many times have people unloaded a gun like that when they get back to a vehicle after a hunt? Lots I'd bet. One guy on another website said it happened to him and when it did he killed a big ram it was pointed at. Unfortunately, it was his new Dodge truck!!! All of these rifles should be fixed whether Remington does it, the owner if they are capable of putting an aftermarket trigger in it, or by a reputable gunsmith. I have no idea how many people will get them repaired, but if even one million do I would think independent gunsmiths will have to be involved to get them done in a timely manner.