HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Outfitting
Thread: Outfitting
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 12:05 PM
rockport
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thomaswh23
I have hunted with 3 different outfitters (2 in SC and 1 in IL). My favorite operation (although I didn't kill a deer) was Waccamaw Hunting in SC for the following reasons;
1. The owner seemed to care. He had lunch and dinner with us everyday and he genuinely seemed to care not only about your success but in also getting to know you.
2. He only had 5 hunters a week in camp but had land to bring many more.
3. The accommodations were simple and basic yet adequate. A bed, shower, toilet and tv are all I need. I was looking for a hunting trip not a spa.
4. Most importantly he had plenty of deer on his properties.

I hunted with an outfitter twice in Pike County, IL that is now out of business. The first year I went there was great. Saw lots of deer but never could connect. The guys running the operation were great and my father and I had about 500 acres to hunt. The second time we went, there were now double the amount of hunters in camp but they didn't double the amount of hunting land. It was obvious that the areas were being hunted every week and never given a break. All they cared about at that point was making a buck. Get the hunters in and get them out seemed like their business model.
Which outfitter were you with in pike county?

My operation would be in Pike and Adams co IL

Getting guys in and getting them out has become the way it is done and that is exactly what I don't want to do and why I have stayed away this long. I'm wanting to run a much simpler operation so I can afford to give guys good hunting rather than extravagant accommodations. I reckon once you spend millions on cabins the actual hunting is what has to take a hit and I want my hunts to be about hunting.