HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - So who is hunting this week
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 06:04 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

My freezer is full so this weekend is for family and friends.

As to this comment:
you need to work on those whitetail out there, they are going to push your mule deer out..
I seriously doubt it. Whitetails live on Eastern Plains of CO and the vast majority of them are found around the river bottoms. Very few whitetails are found in the mountainous areas of the state or on the western slope. Mulies live all over the state and those in the Eastern Plains are usually found out on the flats and not around the river bottoms. Which means the 2 species don't come in contact enough to cause one species to get "pushed" out.

I hunt Eastern CO a lot and I have found if I want a whitetail I go where they live and I see very few mulies there. If I want a mulie I go where they live and I see very few whitetails there. The overlapping range doesn't constitute a large area in a state like CO. Besides, whitetails have always lived in CO. They aren't a recent immigrant, they've been there as long as the rivers have flowed. After all, NE, KS, and OK all share borders with CO and there was never anything there to stop the whitetails from coming down the rivers bottoms into the state and the mulies sure didn't die out.

But then, what do I know? I'm only a 5th generation native of CO and my family has been there since before the Civil War and homesteaded and ranched in Eastern CO along the Republican River near Wray in Yuma County CO.