HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Killed A Fat Boy With My AR15
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 04:35 AM
eli243
Fork Horn

Default Killed A Fat Boy With My AR15

Went down to south montgomery yesterday to the place where I have been doing some doe management for my girlfriends neighbor. He told me I could take a buck as long as it was good and mature so yesterday I decided to wait until dark to try and shoot my doe that I was after in the first place. Before 3:30 there were 18 does and spikes on the field. At around 4:00 this guy steps out. When he first walked out he was 15 yds and facing me. Just looking at his rack I was thinking man thats a really beautiful younger buck. Once he turned broadside though I realized he did in fact have some age on him and was one of the fattest looking deer I have ever seen. Then I sent pictures to the landowner and he confirmed that he was satisfied with his age. I watched him for 30 mins or so to make sure nothing bigger was coming out and finally decided I was going to take him. 70 yd shot with the 6.8spc was just a hair back and he made it just out of the field before piling up. A few does hung around stomping and blowing so since I was there to thin does anyway I shifted over to the other window and shot the biggest one between the eyes. Once we got the buck to the processor we made and interesting discovery. What I thought was a fat, saggy belly was actually an infected, swollen mass on both sides of his ribs where he had been gut shot before. So even though he wasn't quite as old as I thought he was the landowner and I both agree that it was good to take him out anyway.