HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knight LK-93 and No Excuse Bullets question
Old 11-25-2014, 04:01 AM
Triple Se7en
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dkaiser
I own an old .50, Knight LK-93.

I shoot 350gr Maxihunter with 100gr 2Fg Goex, #11 cap

This setup has worked decent for years. But I'm looking for better; it's simply not as tight at 100 yds as I'd like to be.

I live in Oregon - no scope, open ignition. My shots are generally 100-110 yards due to the open area I hunt in.

Does anyone have experience with an LK-93, 2F Goex, and No Excuse Bullets?
Sounds like you prefer conicals in that Knight. In that case, with a desire to shoot heavy No Excuses, you need a more powerful powder than Goex FF.

I am a believer in FFF powders for all my muzzleloaders. I use either Schuetzen Black Powder or Triple Se7en synthetic, both in FFF variety. Schuetzen is a bit more powerful than Goex and the cleanest (in my opinion) of all real blacks.

But - but... but, to be honest, your rifle was designed for sabots. For 100-110 yard shots, you would benefit from a Hornady XTP bullet or Speer Gold Dot that expands very nicely at that distance.

Invest in a pack of Harvester green sabots (44 cal) and a bulk-box of Speer or Hornady 240 gr bullets and 80 grains of powder might be all you need in FFF. Certainly not more than 90-95 I'm guessing.

First and foremost, make sure you first rid those bore rifling grooves of built-up lead, when using / introducing sabots to it. A good cleaner using a wire brush will return that barrel to shooting sabots well.

There's a world of difference in how your right shoulder will feel, going from several shots of heavy No Excuses to shooting about 200 less grains of a saboted bullet. You will find your shooting time at the bench much more enjoyable and probably the end-result will be the same...... a downed harvested deer that travels little to none after your shot.

Good luck.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 11-25-2014 at 04:05 AM.