HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Finished up a couple of grunters today.ll
Old 11-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Mastevt
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ojibwa
I normally use the Quaker boy HEX ridge runners because the reeds are stick and freeze free, look into the reed design you might be able to get them for your calls..
I sent my vendor an email on your question, this is what I sent him.

"Also, I had a customer ask if the reed is stick and freeze free. Can you elaborate on that if it is or not? Thanks."

This is what Al sent as a reply:

"As for the reeds sticking in cold weather, all reeds will freeze if it is really cold outside. With a buck grunt, it is probably unlikely because you don't blow them enough to build up the condensation in the barrel. Also, since the reed is so large, and the tone board as well, it is really unlikely to happen. I've never had it happen to me, nor have I ever heard of it. It would have to be really cold and you would have to be constantly blowing on the call. If it is a real concern, an old trick predator callers use will help. Get some Cheese Cloth, you can find it lots of places, and cut a small square, fold it a couple of layers thick and hold it over the mouth piece of the call. The Cheese Cloth will trap most of the condensation and keep the call from freezing up. It works on any call. Up here, when it gets below 0 and we are calling coyotes, we use it all the time."

Al essentially said the same thing I said, but added some great advise with the cheese cloth. If Quaker Boy is claiming that their reeds are stick and freeze free, it is more than likely a sales pitch. Which, you can't blame them. If it works for them to sell their product, who am I to cry about it. I can say, that my customers would rather have a custom hand crafted, great sounding call, that they can cherish for a long time, rather than buy a store bought production call. Thanks again for the question! I really do appreciate the inquiry. Hope ya have a great season, and up coming Holidays. Scott.